Friday, December 16, 2011



     I, Nero was born on December 17, 37 in Antium, Italy. I was the son of Aggripina, who poisoned her husband, married her uncle Claudius, and then poisoned him so that I could take the throne at the age of 17. To add on to this already messed up family, I just killed Aggripina, my own mother, to get her out of the way. I also had a father, Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus, who died 3 years after I was born, in the year 40. I had many impacts on Rome and some of them were not very good.

     In my early reign, when Aggripina was still in the picture, she eliminated anybody who she saw as a threat my leadership. I was finally named emperor in the year 54 and with the atmosphere I was raised in things did out start out great. Many people said I had soft, weak features with a restless spirit which was, of course true. Also in my beginning I inaugurated competitions in my occupations such as poetry, theatre and athletics. The one good thing I did in my early reign was reduced taxes and forbade bloodshed during a circus.

     I had a negative impact on Rome when I dragged it into a civil war with my selfish ways. I would always kill off any potential heirs and all senators because I thought they were a part of the conspiracy against me. And I would always enter myself in drama competitions because of my inner talents, but people said I was bad at acting. My overall aim was to completely destroy the senatorial class. I was also the cause for many violent uprisings that ended very badly for the city of Rome.

     The other negative impact I had on Rome was during the burning of Rome. It has been said that I started the fire because I wanted new buildings and architecture done, but that is on a need-to-know basis. During the burning of Rome I had a little fun and sang a song to pass the time. Even though during this time I lowered prices of food, and gave my gardens away for resting places for the peasants. Even though I didn’t do a lot of good things for Rome, I don’t really care.

     As I look back on my rule over Rome, I feel that I was too selfish to care about the problems at hand. I know my mother is the reason I was the ruler, but she did get a little annoying so I killed her. The other things to look back on are rethinking my job choice because I was not a very good actor. There was one thing said about me, I rebuilt Rome in a safer way, set aside the other things said about me. That, to me, is a pretty good way to end my reign over the great city of Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment